For safety reasons, the Iron Dog race is temporarily on hold until the storm subsides. Two teams and locals attempted to punch their way through last night and could not make it all the way. Now, with those two teams hunkered down in White Mountain – the rest of the Iron Dog is taking cover in Nome.
All flights in and out have been canceled and the race officials have determined that we cannot risk sending racers into unmarked white outs with no report on the sea ice and no way to mount a search and rescue should we have an accident along the western coast of Alaska.
Until otherwise posted, the next step is to wait until 12:00 AKST when the racers and officials will meet again in the Nome City garage to determine the next step.
How this impacts our Finish into downtown Fairbanks is not yet known. We are considering a change to the layovers to faciliate a quicker arrival to Tanana – but this has not yet been decided.
Stay tuned to Facebook and this page for updates.