Trail Update: Saturday (1/15/2011):
Rob Everts with Everts Air Cargo took myself and Allen Onderik in a Cessna 180 on a one hour flight over most of the intended trail through the Tanana Flats. It was a great day to fly, clear and sunny with the temps hanging around -10 below.
Our flight concentrated on the Eastern half of the new track in the flats and the river crossing from the flats onto the Chena Flood Project Floodway (see attached).
This gave us a great perspective of the area and trail we need to follow to get the track in and finished for this portion of the new section and allowed us to find a pretty decent crossing onto the Floodway to access the Chena River.
The following day (Sunday) we had planned to get feet-on-the-ground and ride the area and trail(s) we discovered and commence working on capturing the GPS data for this part of the route…unfortunately the temperatures dropped to -36F. We decided to postpone until the weather conditions improved before heading back out.
Written by John Johnston
Iron Dog Board Director